Friday, May 13, 2016

Interview with Tom Gimbel



A multi-instrumentalist, Tom plays rhythm guitar, keyboards, sax, and flute. It was the music of Blood Sweat and Tears and Chicago that truly fired his interest in the sound of horns. Equally influenced by progressive rock bands, it was the groundbreaking work of big band trumpet player, Maynard Ferguson, that changed his life. “When I started playing sax I tried to sound like him, learning to nail the high notes,” reveals Gimbel. “This was good training to play the solo on “Urgent” years later!”

After graduating from Berklee College of Music in Boston, Tom began touring with Aerosmith playing keyboards and saxophone. With them, he did two world tours, numerous TV and film appearances including Woodstock 2, Wayne’s World 2, Saturday Night Live and MTV unplugged.






“Foreigner just seems to keep getting better. These songs still resonate beautifully. Mick is really wailin’ and Kelly is a phenomenal singer. Mark and Jeff Pilson are like a freight train. The sound is tough.”

In his own words:

As a little, tiny kid I liked Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, the Supremes/Temptations and of course, The Smothers Brothers! Then later, I heard Elvis, Motown, The Beatles, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Broadway Musicals and "two older sisters who incessantly played classical piano music!" But I always loved The Who. Pete Townsend's playing/writing/singing is why I wanted to someday be a rhythm guitarist/writer/singer.

In the early 70s I went through a Jethro Tull phase, which got me started on the flute which then led to the sax and... jazz, baby!  Graduated Berklee College Of Music in 1982, and started working with Jon Butcher Axis, with whom I recorded 3 albums for Capitol Records. Then in 89 I was hired by Aerosmith to play keyboards, sing and play sax. With them I did two world tours and several SNLs, Wayne's World Two etc...(see old bio) I first met MIck and Lou in '92.... We had so many great years of touring throughout the 1990s and up until 2002. I cherish those memories.

When the band took a break between '02 and '05, I got extremely into golf and I am now a certified golf instructor. Thanks to Mick and Foreigner, I played in a bunch of celebrity tournaments during that time, and still have a healthy love/passion for the game.

After Mick reformed the band in '05, a new phase of Foreigner began, which has just been magnificent to be a part of. It feels like the band is truly kicking into overdrive now and the recent shows in the UK, Europe and the USA have been the best I can ever remember. The really cool news is, it feels like we are just getting started!



No comments:

Post a Comment